Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

There Were Bells On a Hill.....Or Were There?

It was a day like any other. I was walking from the library to the Romney building at BYU-I. As I walked I only half listened to the familiar sound of the campus bells playing hymns for all of Rexburg to hear. Then I stopped. It was 1:49 pm. I asked myself, "Self, why were the bells playing at 1:49?" As far as I knew bells usually ring to announce a new hour. So why did they sound then at such an odd time? Then as I thought to myself I realized that the bells were almost always playing at random times. Sometimes it seems like they just play all day. I decided to investigate further at the bell tower.

Before my investigation could begin I was struck with yet another epiphany. We don't have a bell tower! If we don't have a bell tower then where are these bell hymns coming from? I stopped a passerby who was passing by (as they tend to do) and asked where the bell sound was coming from. He informed me that there are speakers on one of the main buildings that play recordings of bells playing hymns.

I stood there stunned. Recordings? What?! This discovery has lead me on a journey of thought that would make Socrates himself quake in his boots. My pondering has led me to ask such questions as: "If bell towers usually correlate with time, and if our recordings play at random intervals, then why try to simulate a bell tower? If they just want us to hear instrumental music, then why bells? Why not play recordings of an instrument a little more impressive than bells, like bagpipes? If they want us to become more acquainted with the hymns then why not just play recordings of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir? Is this all just some disguised attempt to subliminally convince us that we are just as good as our sister school in Provo?"

If you know the answer to one or more of these questions, please let me know.......I am so confused.....

8 comments:

  1. I have been, myself, a passerby.

    I want to say so many things about this post, but out of love and respect for TM Gilliland Esq. I shant.

    "Great post" he said, hiding his true feelings.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading that last comment I realized how big of a tool I come off as.

    I meant not that the post is bad, but rather that I have snide comments to make about BYUI that I wont make. Are we clear? Questions? Good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Race, be sure to let us know how things are when you go to BYU in Provo... that is, if they even accept you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the clarification Race. I was worried for a second.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good one ryan. haha after all it is a very real possibility that I wont get in. I mean VERY real. Like, as real as Pinocchio. At the end of the movie, of course. Not the beginning. Ya.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a dream that one day, the members of the Church will not judge a university by the clatter of its carillon, but the content of its character.

    The Spirit of Ricks lives on. Too bad the same can't be said about the "Spirit of Provo," or more properly expressed, the lack thereof.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol, it was a joke in bad jest, my good Race. I'm still bitter at Provo for not accepting me. Still, it got me up here, and I'm not complaining! It's not so bad here in Rexburg. Just gotta get past the... quirks.

    ReplyDelete